Monday, May 14, 2012

dear jordan

Dear Jordan,


I can't wait to meet you! 


When I received the e-mail asking that I be your mentor, I was surprised.. and a little scared. I still am, 'cause you're a whole kid! The most I've ever dealt with before was a dog. (A big dog, but still.) Kids are like the ultimate bright shiny objects. No one can not smile when they see them. And your mom trusts me to let you hang out for a while. That's kind of cool and crazy.


The lady at Exodus said you like to research and that you like art. Maybe we could go to the Nasher Sculpture Garden. I've never been but I've heard it's really pretty. Also, I love the DMA. There are these shell-like forms of glass they hung near the windows. Sunlight streams through the colors and pool on the floor. It's like we could step into color like most people splash into puddles of water. And there are galleries in Oak Cliff, too. (I really like art, too, if you couldn't tell.)


Another part of the message said you've had a hard life so far. I really wish I could do something to make that different. I hate that you've hurt. And I'd like to listen, if you want to talk about it. I'll keep all the secrets I can, but since I don't want you to hurt any more, either, any secrets that might end up with you hurt again, I'll have to tell. I won't apologize for that.


But I do have a secret to share with you, if you'd like. Here goes. I already kind of love you.


I know you're only going to be my mentee for a while. But still. You have a whole life of tough things you've learned I want to hear about, and things that made you giggle. You haven't had people who understood what it's like to not trust people you haven't even met, but I do. And the things you say when you're mad or scared I'll run away? It's ok. I won't take them personally. 'Cause I understand.


I have cool dog that would like to meet you, too, and books! I have lots of books to share with you, to help you research nifty things like gravity and Cubism and chocolate.


Meeting you can't come soon enough, even though I'm nervous. It's a good nervous. Really. Not as bad as speaking in front of people, but more this-really-matters-and-I-don't-want-to-screw-it-up nervous.


I hope you like me. 


Maybe we can have burgers at McDonalds. I've heard that's like the kids' version of meeting for coffee.


Soon, I get to meet you.


By the way, my name's Amber.


Hi.

1 comment:

  1. You have opened your heart and your soul. Well written.

    ReplyDelete